Monday, April 26, 2010

A rose

"A rose by any other name is still a rose" -Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.  Even though I am a fan of Shakespeare's plays, I'm not an expert and I don't sit around memorizing his prose.  But for some reason, when I read Romeo and Juliet back in high school, this line more than any other stuck with me and has always been my favorite.  It just speaks truth; it made me think then and it still makes me think.  We all judge, sometimes unconsciously, on the outside and with labels...but we may be missing out on some very special people because of our judgments.  Our concentration on all those thorns may be blinding us from seeing that beautiful rose right in front of us.  I had to recite this line to a friend today who told me I could call him by a name he didn't prefer if it would make me like him better.  As far as I can tell, he's a good guy no matter what name I call him.  So, once again, this line of a well-known Shakespeare play had me thinking.  Speaking of names and thanks to one of my blogger buddies, I am thinking of a new name for myself here in blog world...changes are taking place so maybe my name should be one of them.

2 comments:

  1. how sad, to think we'd have to receive the applause from others to be worth more/anything. something tells me that you aren't quick to decide the value of anyone...i like that. and if you're taking opinions on a new name then i'd love to throw my hat in the ring...'beauty from ashes' because that's what i see when i look into your heart, not foolishness ;) take care, precious one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that line, too. No doubt you will come up with an appropriate blog name. One that demonstrates your growth beyond Heartbreak.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here :)