Monday, June 14, 2010

Magpie 18: A pencil's life

If I could write my life in pencil
oh, the risks that I would take
the lives that I could shake
for a little bit of rubber
would erase it all away.

If I could write my life in pencil
oh, the words that I would say.
the games that I could play
for a little bit of rubber 
would erase it all away.

If I could write my life in pencil
oh the messes I 'd get through
the dancing I would do
for a little bit of rubber 
would erase it all away.



Alas-my life-it's written in Sharpie.
and I can only say 
that no amount of rubber 
will erase it all away.

**this is a magpie tale.  Visit Magpie from "Challenges I love" to try it. 

14 comments:

  1. "Alas-my life-it's written in Sharpie" This is wonderful line rings familiar! Nice writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and that is alright, because i would take none of it back..nice magpie...really well written...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most excellent! I like the idea of pencils giving us a re-do. Just erase it and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice idea well done. Oh for the eraser of life's silly mistakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it, all the reason to write in sharpie...life is to precious to erase it away......well done...bkm

    ReplyDelete
  6. vivid and excellent structure..
    beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, so true. Thought provoking piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea/line! "If I could write my life in pencil." Love your take on this week's prompt, and inspires lots of thought!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHHH, if only it were that simple. Great Magpie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness for Sharpies! No erasing necessary in your work, Caty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely cracking Magpie! Full marks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely agree with the last stanza..you're here to stay!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. caty, your pencil magpie is fabulous!!!
    i had to laugh at your sharpie comment but you know, you didn't sound like 'woe is me for making horrible mistakes', you were simply matter-of-fact in announcing that your life was there for all to see, the good and the bad!
    it's funny, when i think of you i always see bright colors, laughing colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If only. What a nifty and provocative piece - I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts are welcome here :)